August 4th – The Day We Went to War
To commemorate 100 years since the out break of war the Millennium Library, Regimental Museum and Norfolk Record Office have teamed up with The Forum Trust, Gressenhall Museum, historian Neil Storey and many other partners to plan an incredible day of events at The Forum.
Events and activities will include:
- the chance to ‘take the King’s shilling’ at our recruiting office
- the chance to explore the all new Military History family history course
- an exhibition of authentic posters from 1914
- crafts and activities for children, plus the chance to meet one of the Gressenhall horses
- an expert on hand to look at your family memorabilia
- The chance to leave your thoughts or tributes to family members who served on our Poppy Wall
Throughout the day The Fusion Screen will show the Norwich Roll of Honour, in memory of the 3,500 Norwich people who lost their lives in World War One. The names will be displayed on the screen throughout the day and into the evening, and the space will provide an opportunity to remember those lost, and for quiet reflection.
The event will be officially started at 10am by the Town Crier and activities will continue through the day culminating in a free talk from historian Neil Storey at 6pm (details of this talk here).