Scars of War reading 5

As promised here as some of the readings/research made in West Norfolk for the Scars of War project in the autumn of 2018: The research for this piece was undertaken by Lindsey Bavin, manager at the True’s Yard Fisherfolk Museum

The Nurse

At the outbreak of war in August 1914, the means of transporting the sick and wounded had advanced little since the Boer War some twelve years previous. They were still using horse drawn ambulance wagons and nurses were sent on horseback to tend to the wounded when the ambulance was too slow.

The earliest weeks of the war shattered any illusion this could continue and motorised ambulances quickly replaced the horse drawn wagon across the Western Front. Ambulance drivers like Violet Tillson and Mem Custance were on the front lines of the Western Front helping wounded soldiers at Ypres, The Somme and Verdun.

Field Ambulance Unit soldiers, First World War. This image forms part of the Percy Trett Collection, from the Time and Tide Museum/Picture Norfolk

Perhaps the most famous nurse of the First World War was Edith Cavell. Continue reading

Advertisements

Scars of War reading 4

As promised here as some of the readings/research made in West Norfolk for the Scars of War project in the autumn of 2018: The research for this piece was undertaken by Lindsey Bavin, manager at the True’s Yard Fisherfolk Museum

The Munitions Worker

King’s Lynn had two main munitions factories during World War 1. To the north His Majesty’s Factory on the Alexandra Dock and Cooper Roller Bearings to the south. Savages had also converted their ironworks for war work in the manufacture of aeroplanes.

King’s Lynn, fabric department staff of Savage’s factory in 1917 – image from Picture Norfolk

Continue reading

Scars of War reading 3

As promised here as some of the readings/research made in West Norfolk for the Scars of War project in the autumn of 2018: The research for this piece was undertaken by Lindsey Bavin, manager at the True’s Yard Fisherfolk Museum

The Christmas Truce

By December 1914 soldiers on both sides had settled into the routine life of living in the trenches of Northern France. Between battles there would be periods of quiet and trenches were often close enough that the soldiers began to banter and barter for items such as cigarettes.

An old pack of British Woodbine cigarettes, photographed at the Musée Somme 1916 of Albert (Somme), France – image from Wikipedia

One such soldier was Harry Bloom, the son of Charles and Jenny Bloom of 18 Checker Street. At seventeen he Joined the Militia and transferred to the Regular Army in 1906 for service in the Norfolk Regiment. He served in South Africa and India prior to the war. In 1913 he joined the Army Reserve and worked at Cooper Roller Bearings which became a munitions factory during the war. He married a woman called Jeannie and they lived at 11 Edwards Yard off Providence Street.

King’s Lynn, interior of the Cooper Roller Bearings factory. Image from Picture Norfolk

Continue reading

Scars of War reading 2

As promised here as some of the readings/research made in West Norfolk for the Scars of War project in the autumn of 2018: The research for this piece was undertaken by Lindsey Bavin, manager at the True’s Yard Fisherfolk Museum. The museum holds photos from 1915 showing the damage caused in the Zeppelin raids.

The Zeppelin Raid of Lynn

Alice Maud Rowe was born in July 1888. In 1909 she married Percy George Gazley from Wisbech. He had enlisted in the Army in 1904 and served as a private for three years. With the outbreak of war Percy was once again called up to fight in the 3rd Battalion, Prince Consort’s Own Rifles. On 27th October 1914 he was killed shortly before the First Battle of Ypres.

Riffleman Gazley is commemorated on Panel 10 of the Ploegsteert Memorial (image from G Skinner)

On the night of 19th January 1915, Alice was dining with her neighbours Mr and Mrs Fayers of 11 Bentinck Street (now St James Street and Blackfriars Street) just a few doors down from her own Rose Cottage.  She was unaware that two Zeppelins had set out across the Channel.  Their original target had been the docks and industrial areas of Humberside but strong winds instead led to their arrival at Norfolk’s coastline around 7.55pm. Continue reading

Scars of War reading 1

As promised here as some of the readings/research made in West Norfolk for the Scars of War project in the autumn of 2018: The research for this piece was undertaken by Lindsey Bavin, manager at the True’s Yard Fisherfolk Museum. You will find a memorial to these three ships at the museum.

The Aboukir, Cressy and Hogue
The Live Bait Squadron
William Allen, John Rose and Hubert Penny

  During a conference Churchill had been annoyed to overhear the expression ‘Live Bait Squadron’ and to learn it was the Fleet’s nickname for the Southern Force’s cruisers which were over fourteen years old.  

The ships were manned by reservists, who were mainly married men, and young cadets from Osborne House Naval College and Britannia Royal Naval College. It was thought these ships would not be involved in great battles, so would be safe. Churchill pointed out the danger of exposing cruisers so close to enemy positions especially without any destroyer escort and where numerous fishing boats could report their movements. Churchill said:

“The risk to such ships is not justified by any service they can render. The narrow seas, being the nearest point to the enemy, should be kept by a small number of good modern ships.”  

Although First Sea Lord Louis Battenburg agreed with Churchill two days later, on Saturday 19th September, Admiral Sturdee persuaded the First Sea Lord to approve an order for the cruisers to stay in their original patrol area and not move to the western approaches of the Channel as Churchill had ordered.

Thus the scene was set for the morning of 22nd September 1914 Continue reading

Scars of War

We’ve just been told about this wonderful World War One art/history project that has been running in King’s Lynn this autumn…

Scars of War

From late September until early November six heritage and educational organisations in King’s Lynn and West Norfolk
worked together on a World War One remembrance project called Scars of War.

This project used the soldiers’ graffiti of the tower of King’s Lynn Library as the inspiration. The name alludes to the physical and emotional scars on those involved in the Great War and the “scars” the graffiti has left on the buildings.

photo courtesy Rebecca Hearle

True’s Yard Fisherfolk Museum, Stories of Lynn, St Nicholas’ Chapel, Lynn Museum, King’s Lynn Library, and The Custom House were the locations chosen as all have some historic graffiti as part of their archives [this unique historical resource was discovered and researched by Kevin Hitchcock and we will be sharing this fascinating story very soon – ed.].  These snapshots of history became the inspiration for creating our own modern graffiti in an artistic way to commemorate World War One and keep the memory of our historic past alive.

Image courtesy Scars of War

Each location ran a lino cutting and printing workshop lead by artist Rebecca Hearle and work from these 6 sessions were collected together to form an exhibition which was celebrated at a special event at King’s Lynn on Monday 12th November.

Image courtesy Debbie King/Scars of War

This was an evening of remembrance hosted by Mayor of the Borough of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk, Cllr Nick Daubney. The evening revolved around the telling of stories of the figures from King’s Lynn’s history in World War One.

We’ve been very lucky in that Lindsey Bavin from True’s Yard has sent through many of the readings from this event and we will be posting them all over the next few weeks, we also plan to the fascinating stories behind the original graffiti which inspired this wonderful project.

The pieces of art created for the project are currently being framed and will then be on display in the places where they were created so visiting King’s Lynn in the new year seems a must to see these prints.

Catch it before it Vanishes

We were really pleased to hear from photographer Nick Stone recently – especially as he was letting us know about his imminent WW1 art exhibition that opens in Norwich on the 100th Anniversary of the Armistice.

All of the details about location and opening times are on the pictures of the flier below – but if you can’t wait until the 11th then you can always take a look at Nick’s website or see his newest piece of work at the Armistice: The Legacy of the Great War in Norfolk exhibition which opened at Norwich Castle on 20th October.