Charles Burrell & Sons of Thetford were makers of steam traction engines, agricultural machinery, steam trucks and steam tram engines, but during the First World War they produced munitions and gun mountings for the Admiralty. This is just one of several hundred newly published original photographs, posters and notices connected with the First World War in Norfolk and available on http://www.picture.norfolk.gov.uk.
This comes from a collection related to Hobrough & Son’s firm of river contractors and engineers, established by James Hobrough in 1854. The firm’s headquarters was an inn at Bishop’s Bridge for many years and later they also built a dockyard at Thorpe St Andrew. James Samuel Hobrough (born 1864) took up photography in 1893 and documented much of the firms work until the 1920s. This large collection of images forms part of the Bridewell Museum’s holdings and many can be viewed at http://www.picture.norfolk.gov.uk (search term: Hobrough)
This image has been loaned to us by Bethan Holdridge and comes from a collection of WW1 photographs belonging to Julie Brown. The collection has been in the family for several generations and seems to have originated from Oliver Brown (J.B’s grandfather on the maternal side). The only information we currently have about him is that was born in Hadleigh and during the First World War he accompanied an official war artist.