Ypres, the remains of the Cloth Hall, taken after the First World War in 1919, by Mary Olive Edis
Olive Edis took up photography in 1900 and in 1905 opened a studio in Church Street, Sheringham. During her career she photographed a wide cross section of society, from local fishermen and their families to royalty and other influential people. She was a pioneer in several ways and in 1912 she became one of the first people to use autochromes, the first commercially available colour photographic process. In 1918 she was commissioned by the Imperial War Museum as the only official woman photographer to record the work of women in the armed forces in Flanders and France. This image forms part of the photographic collections of Cromer Museum.